Tooth grinding is medically called bruxism, it does not usually cause harm, if teeth grinding occurs on a daily basis it might cause damage and other complications.
If stress is one cause of grind your teeth, ask your doctor how to reduce your stress and start an exercise, Attend stress counseling, physical therapy is few other options you can consider. Griding is an asleep disorder it causes stress, anxiety and affects your daily lifestyle.
Use a mouth guard to protect your teeth from grinding during sleep. and also use it when you play extreme sports like water polo, rugby, football, and mixed martial arts. including sports like soccer, basketball, skateboarding, and other extreme sports. They protect the tongue, cheeks, gums, soft tissues of your lips.
The best way to protect and prevent your teeth wear and fracture is to wear an occlusal appliance. In different names for appliances those are occlusal bite guards, including occlusal splints, night guards, bruxism, bite plates appliances. fitted special plastic mouthpieces that fit over your upper or lower teeth.
Treatments for Teeth Grinding:
- Using a mouth splint reduces the sensation of grinding your teeth.
- Reduce pain and prevent tooth wear, as well as protecting your teeth.
- And also include sleep hygiene and muscle-relaxation exercises.
- If you have stress, cognitive behavioral therapy.
Teeth Grinding Problems:
- It creates problems such as
- Loss of tooth structure
- Muscular pain
- Tooth Sensitivity
- Shortening of Teeth
- Broken and Cracked Teeth
How to avoid Tooth Griding :
- Avoid foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as chocolate, coffee, colas, and alcohol.
- Chewing gums are void as it allows your jaw muscles to get clenching and makes you more likely to grind your teeth.
- Do not chew pens and pencils and anything that is not food.